MY SUNDAY MEAL PREP
about 2 hours
- Steamed zucchini- I chopped up one large zucchini and steamed it for 5 minutes. Steaming makes them easier to digest! This will be for smoothies throughout the week.
2. Roasted squash- My main carb source with lunch has been roasted sweet potatoes, but this week I decided to do squash instead. I sliced up my squash, drizzled the pieces with olive oil, and baked at 400 F for about half an hour, flipping them over about half way through.
3. Chopped carrots- Organic rainbow carrots, to be specific. I pack a big handful to go along with my lunch. Highly recommend dunking them in a jar of peanut butter. Also highly recommend keeping a jar of peanut butter at your work desk.
4. Chicken nuggets- my lunch protein for the week
- 1 lb. organic ground chicken
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup aloud flour
- 2 heaping tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 hefty dash of sea salt
- 1 egg
Make little patties, place on an oiled baking sheet, and bake at 400 F until crispy!
5. Paleo coconut bars- because I love dessert but try to avoid refined sugars
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup aloud flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- sea salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp roasted cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 serving Dang chocolate coconut chips
- Dash of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
Combine ingredients for the bottom layer to form a dough and then press into the bottom of a baking pan. Use a high speed blender to pulse together ingredients for the top layer. It doesn’t have to blend smoothly and will probably have some chunks…but who doesn’t love chunks?! Press this mixture onto the crust and then stick in the freezer.
When you hear that someone ‘meal preps,’ do you imagine some bulky dude assembling broccoli, rice, and chicken from days-of-the-week labeled tupperware? Well, I used to. But it doesn’t have to be that way (mostly because I don’t own that much tupperware). Meal prepping has allowed me to enjoy quick and healthy meals all week.
~For breakfast, I’ll make a big smoothie with at least 2 different veggies plus the metabolic maintenance powder prescribed by my naturopath. Topping will include some sort of nut butter, cacao nibs, and nut/grain free granola.
~Lunches are always a base of leafy greens with a carb (potatoes/squash/beets), protein (meatballs/these homemade chicken nuggets), nutritional yeast, and a drizzle of tahini as dressing. Plus, I’ll pack some sort of fruit along with my carrots and peanut butter.
~Dinner is usually more simple, just veggies and some type of fat/protein (eggs lately). And I always eat some sort of ‘dessert,’ which is fat heavy (see paleo coconut bars above).
TLDR?! meal prep saves lives